This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Simple drill down map

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Hi ,
I have the below requirements.

1) Initially I would like to show only the continent map.
2) On clicking a particular continent, the map should drill down showing all the countries in that particular continent. Similarly, on clicking a country, it should show all the cities.
3) When a particular continent, country or city is selected, its color should change.

I just need to show three levels of information i.e. continent, country and city. There should be no further drill down when a particular city is clicked.

Is this possible using XAML Map Control ? If yes, can you provide directions to achieve it ?

Thanks.
Coordinator
Jun 27, 2013 at 3:01 PM
The Map Control does not know anything about continents, countries or cities. It displays maps as bitmap images. However, it provides an API that allows to convert screen (or viewport) coordinates to geodetic locations and vice versa, and you can set the map's center location and zoom level. Your application would have to do use this API in order to show any desired map area. Of course your application would also be responsible for providing continent, country and city shapes to draw them as filled polylines on top of the map, and to change their color if necessary.

Run one of the sample applications that come with the download package to see what the control can do.