This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Documentation and getting started

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:08 AM
I am attempting to use the Map Control to download and view maps in an RT program. I am experienced with C# code behind but not very experienced with XAML or windows RT. This is actually my first foray into RT. Is there any documentation using this API? I have been reading the sample code but am having a hard time dissecting it. Specifically figuring out how to dynamically go to a map location using source. Secondly, once I have gotten to a location I can't figure out how to download the images while keeping the zoom ability. I have been reading all the discussions in an attempt to figure it out but without the basic understand of navigating to a location and downloading I am not getting very far. Once I understand how the API works I will start making some documentation for it in the fashion of MSDN but right now I am stuck. So can someone explain how to get started and where specifically I should be looking in the sample code?
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2014 at 3:53 PM
Most of the public properties and methods are commented, and there is a sample application that shows how to use the Map control. You should however be familiar with XAML to get the full picture.

Setting the map to a specific location would be as easy as setting the Center property (or TargetCenter for an animated center change). Downloading map images is done by the control, no application code is needed.

Providing some more documentation is still on my to-do list :-)
Feb 17, 2014 at 11:24 PM
Thanks for the reply, I have been learning the API and i find i like it a lot. Does the API have the ability to save a whole map or region as a single bit image?
Coordinator
Feb 18, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Take a look at RenderTargetBitmap.
Feb 20, 2014 at 5:51 PM
Thanks, that helped a lot!