This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Use of temporary Storeage

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:36 AM
Hi Clemens, I've been using the XAML Map Control for about three years - thanks for a brilliant control. I have recently installed my application which uses the control on some new Windows PCs some of which don't allow users access to any local hard drive. Despite not configuring either the Image cache or the FileDB Cache I cannot get the map control to display any tiles. By tracing the code I can see them apparently being downloading OK but nothing appears on the map. The exact same application, database and tile servers on a PC with a local hard drive works fine. I was wondering do you happen to know if using memory streams in windows still requires some access to a local hard drive for temporary storage. Everything points to a simple problem of not being able to access the c: drive or similar but I don't really know where to look and wondered if you could point me in the right direction please.

Many thanks
Richard
Coordinator
Sep 15, 2016 at 10:07 AM
Edited Sep 15, 2016 at 11:21 AM
You mean the MemoryStream created in the DownloadImage(Uri uri, string cacheKey) method, in line 249 of TileImageLoader.WPF.cs? Can you confirm that the HTTP response stream isn't empty and successfully copied to the MemoryStream, but no BitmapSource is subsequently created from the MemoryStream? Sounds odd, and honestly I have no idea why it shouldn't work.
Sep 15, 2016 at 10:22 AM
Thanks for the swift reply. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to check that at the moment as there is only a runtime version of the application out on site with one of my colleagues so I'm basing it on the fact that it is at least hitting the DownloadImage code as I put in a trace to a log file but I didn't actually trace if the stream was empty. I think I'll have to build a new version with some extra tracing to a log file and get him to re-test when he's next on site. I suppose it could also be some firewall issue but I traced the generated urls to a file, then my colleague pasted a few of them into Internet Explorer and got the images OK. As I say it works fine on other PCs on the same site so it is obviously something to do with those particular PCs. Many thanks again for your help.